Kimmi Bitter - Old School (2024)

The ghost of Patsy Cline has come to visit us in the form of Kimmi Bitter - the best, young, country singer I've heard in a long, long, long time.The Oceanside, California singer-songwriter is a throwback to another era and that's the way she likes it - not only with her music but right down to her 1960s mini-dress and go-go boots.

Bitter told Saving Country Music that "You can’t really explain why you love the things you love, but for me, I have this undeniable love for the 60s and earlier." "To me, music peaked then and I have been wanting to do a straight up tried and true good old fashioned record for as long as forever."

The appropriately named Old School is Bitter's first full length album except for a very limited edition LP only release of a few years ago. She also has a few singles and two EPs available for download on iTunes.

The up-and-coming star's album has eleven new, original songs she co-wrote with her producer, Michael Gurley - former lead guitarist for the 90s alt-rock band, Dada - and it clocks in at only 33:28, so Bitter doesn't overstay her welcome. In fact, you'll want to play the disc again immediately.

There are almost no credits on the CD digipak so information is skimpy, but you'll hear traditional acoustic, pedal steel and electric guitars. Bitter's lead vocals are sometimes accompanied by male background singers that conjure up images of the Jordanaires. There are no synthesizers, drum machines or Auto-tuned vocals. Bitter can also rock out a little, and it comes more naturally to her than it does to Dolly Parton.

Bitter also channels Loretta Lynn with her feisty, "Get Those Hands Where I Can See 'Em" where she tells her man that he'll be seeing stars if he doesn't. It's a don't-mess-with-me kind of song with a humorous side that helps the singer get her point across.

I ordered my copy of the CD directly from Bitter's website. When I received it in the mail there was a short, handwritten, personalized note signed by her and addressed to me inside the package thanking me for my purchase. I appreciated that very much, and it will be an especially cool thing to have if she becomes famous.

I know it's saying a lot so early in the year, but Old School should be a candidate for Album Of The Year and Bitter as Best New Artist. It would be cool if she wins both.

Comments

WHAT'S HOT TODAY!

Slower Than Slow: 16 RPM Records

The Late Dickey Betts Discusses How Jimmy Carter's Friendship With The Allman Brothers Band Helped The Candidate Win The 1976 Presidential Election

It's Real Life: An Alternate History Of The Beatles - A Short Story, Radio Play And Full Length Novel By Paul Levinson (2022 and 2024)

Last Albums: Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden (2007)

Why Do 45 RPM Records Have Big Holes?