Gordon Lightfoot - Complete Greatest Hits (2002)

There are too many singer-songwriters born with sub-standard vocal chords. I've always said they should just compose and leave the singing to those who can. Fortunately, the recently departed Gordon Meredith Lightfoot Jr. (1938 - 2023) was never one who needed to avoid a microphone because his elegant baritone always enhanced his highly literate songs.

I've thought many times about adding some Lightfoot to my already large CD collection, but for reasons that can't be explained, I never did. So, proving that death is often a good career move the recent, sad news about the beloved, Canadian star's passing finally spurred me into action with my purchase of Complete Greatest Hits

This excellently re-mastered, 2002 compilation from Rhino Records is loaded with Lightfoot's most popular songs. For the majority of music lovers this outstanding, twenty song collection - that clocks in at almost an hour and fifteen minutes - should be enough.

Complete Greatest Hits includes six songs from Lightfoot's early United Artists years with fourteen more from his later, Warner Brothers period. Previously, to get everything on this album you would have needed to purchase multiple compilations.

Two inferior "best of" releases preceded this one. Both are still available and were originally issued as LPs and later CDs. Gord's Gold, Volumes 1 & 2 included an abundance of early tracks that Lightfoot re-recorded for those albums. The updated versions were mixed in with some later tunes, not all of them hits. If authenticity or familiarity is something you desire you're better off with this highly recommended Rhino set.

"Sundown" - Lightfoot's only American #1 - has always been among my favorite soft-rock, singer-songwriter records. That chartbusting, #1 single is here of course, along with "If You Could Read My Mind," "Carefree Highway," "Rainy Day People," and the unlikely #2 hit, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." Also included are two of his early folk songs that became better known when they were covered by Peter, Paul and Mary in the mid-sixties: "For Lovin' Me" and "Early Morning Rain."

Comments

  1. I see that "Cotton Jenny" is included (upbeat and feelgood song) and the song always brings back memories of singing in the car with my dad. If I could add one more song to this offering..."Circle Of Steel" would be my choice. Stark and cold imagery that still haunts me long after hearing the song and it evokes memories for other reasons. I only have a couple of Lightfoot albums myself. "Summer Side Of Life" and "Sundown" so a good compilation is definitely in my forecast. Oh yeah,..."Miguel" is another favorite I would have to add. I need to stop. Thanks for posting. ~casey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

WHAT'S HOT TODAY!

Slower Than Slow: 16 RPM Records

The Late Dickey Betts Discusses How Jimmy Carter's Friendship With The Allman Brothers Band Helped The Candidate Win The 1976 Presidential Election

It's Real Life: An Alternate History Of The Beatles - A Short Story, Radio Play And Full Length Novel By Paul Levinson (2022 and 2024)

Last Albums: Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden (2007)

Why Do 45 RPM Records Have Big Holes?