Do You Want To Know A Secret?

If your answer to the title question is "yes" keep reading because here is my secret. When I was young I loathed cover versions of songs originally done by The Beatles and I considered recording one to be blasphemy of the highest order. Because I've matured a lot over the years I've come to realize there are many nice renditions of their work so, just for fun, I decided to list some of my favorites here. The list is alphabetical by artist. I've added some comments where appropriate.

What are some of your favorites?

1. Yes It Is - Johnny A (Excellent and eclectic rock guitarist from Boston. You can check out his stuff on his website.)
2. It's Only Love - Gary US Bonds
3. Golden Slumbers - Jackson Browne with Jennifer Warnes
4. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - Roseanne Cash
5. Magical Mystery Tour - Cheap Trick
6. Tomorrow Never Knows - Phil Collins
7. Blackbird - Crosby, Stills, and Nash (It's The first song they ever sang together. You can here it live on their 1983 album, Allies)
8. Got To Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind, and Fire
9. Don't Pass Me By - The Georgia Satellites
10. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Hooters
11. I'll Cry Instead - Billy Joel (the flip side of the single "The Innocent Man")
12. I Saw Her Standing There - Elton John With John Lennon (It was Lennon's last public performance, the night he reconciled with Yoko)
13. I'll Be On My Way - Billy J. Kramer And The Dakotas (The Beatles only version appears on Live At The BBC)
14. Bad To Me - Billy J. Kramer And The Dakotas (The Beatles never recorded this song)
15. I Will - Allison Krauss
16. I Call Your Name - The Mamas & The Papas (My favorite cover of a Beatles song)
17. Taxman - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers (Live from the Concert For George)
18. I've Just Seen A Face - John Pizzarelli Trio (really nice piano jazz)
19. Come Together - Grace Potter and The Nocturnals (I don't believe they recorded a version of this but I saw them do it live at WXPN's All About The Music Festival on June 19, 2007 and they just just tore it up)
20. Get Back - Billy Preston
21. The Fool on the Hill - Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66
22. Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett
23. Helter Skelter - U2
24, Across The Universe - Rufus Wainwright
25. Every Little Thing - Yes

Comments

  1. Actually, I have quite a few suggestions but some of my favourites are:
    Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Help! - Deep Purple
    Day Tripper - Otis Redding
    I Want to Hold Your Hand - Al Green
    Here There and Everywhere - Emmylou Harris
    Just shows what you can do with ace material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Charlie, I have just two little things:

    1) Yes did two covers that I consider definitive versions; one was the Beatles cover you listed, "Every Little Thing" and the other was Paul Simon's "America" which got a glorious ten minute plus rendering that is somewhat easier to find now in the age of CDs with bonus tracks than it was when it came out on a British sampler LP in the early 70's.

    2) Perhaps it's because I just finished rewatching High Fidelity, but I'd like to see, maybe as a comment to your own post, your top ten favorite Beatles cover songs, in order of preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Beatles covers I like:

    Day Tripper by Randy California
    Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds by William Shatner
    In My Life by Joseph Williams (formerly of Toto)

    and

    Golden Slumbers by Ben Folds

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment