The Mike Jacoby Electric Trio - Welcome To The Family (2026)

Once again, Mike Jacoby has written all of the songs on his California band's latest release, Welcome to the Family, and once again it's a good set of rocking tunes.

On this, the trio's third release, guitarist, composer and lead singer Jacoby continues to work with his solid supporting cast, Don Read on bass and drummer Mike Levin. They're three middle-aged guys who can rock 'n roll, so I don't think they'll be telling their kids to "turn it down" anytime soon.

Jacoby also writes intelligent - frequently edgy lyrics - and he's not afraid to get political. That's a brave act these days because too often artists take a huge chance of alienating a good chunk of any potential audience. On the hook-filled title track he sings, "There you are – a random face. You’ve come a long way from a distant place. Look over your shoulder – keep your eyes cast down. Never assume that there’s no one around."

The trio's sound isn't the least bit country, but Jacoby seems to identify with the working man on the high-powered "The 75/24 Split." "I’m getting near Chattanooga – heading north up to Detroit, Some stupid in a Nissan thinks he’s badass A.J. Foyt. My truck has been through hell, and I can’t afford another wreck. I’ve had way too many close calls at this ugly bottleneck."

"Love on Love" and the British Invasion influenced "Together" prove Jacoby can write about romantic entanglements without the overly syrupy sentiments that often plague the too-often-sung-about topic.

I wouldn't describe the band as a power trio, but you can use any other description you want: garage rock, power pop, heartland rock, or even Americana. They all fit.

For the third consecutive release, The Mike Jacoby Electric Trio proves they deserve widespread attention.

Comments

  1. Oh no! More great music I never heard. So much music, so little time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment